Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Year in Review - December, 2007

Year One of Retirement, AKA “the rest of my life,” and all is well in the life of Tina. How exactly has it gone, you wonder? Well, instead of the “12 Days of Christmas,” think of this as the “12 Months of Retirement” and you’ll see what I have been doing.

January – Day one of retirement and I realize I don’t have to set the alarm. I wonder how long it will take me to adjust to my new life. Day two – I sleep late. I am adjusted.

February – Lots of time for attending home and away games of my beloved Rutgers women’s basketball team. No snow to speak of, so no taking out the new Nikon for photo sessions in wintry settings. I can stay up late to watch the Oscars and not worry about getting up for work in the morning. Yeah!

March – Trip to Cancun for unofficial niece Amy’s wedding. I don’t look good in a bathing suit, but at least I am getting sun and warm weather. Besides, if you don’t look good in a bathing suit, it is always better to wear one in another country. Really, have you not seen people who should never be naked at beaches outside the U.S.? If the world can tolerate that, then me in a one-piece shouldn’t spark an international incident.

April – People asked me if I planned to travel in my retirement. First Cancun, and now Cleveland. But for a good reason – to see the Rutgers women’s basketball team compete in the Final Four of the NCAA Basketball Tournament. The team lost in the national championship game, but soon gained accolades for its performance on and off the court in the wake of the Imus incident. I’m feeling so proud of what they accomplished.

May – The spring weather finds me on the prowl for new places to take pictures. Taking a couple of photo classes helps get me into the shooting groove again. In between sessions, I have an egg-sized lipoma (fancy word for benign fatty tumor) surgically removed from my left elbow.

June – More photo sessions before putting the camera away temporarily to sell my house. What? I find a great house in town with a bigger lot, more privacy, a pool, spa and sun room, and I decide to put my house on the market. It sells in three days, so I start preparations for the big move.

July – Review every box and item in the house. Recycle, donate, dump and destroy everything not to be moved and pack the rest. Where did all this stuff come from?

August – The Big Move. A new house, a whopping mortgage, and I am still spending like I was employed!

September – The only thing worse than packing is unpacking. Every sentence starts with “Where…” And finding out about the idiosyncrasies of the house, like the dryer that almost caught fire, the shower that leaks into the kitchen below and mastering the light switches is killing me – and my wrists. Doctor says it is carpal tunnel and advises me not to move again. I’ll follow that advice. I spend time going to see favorite nephew Brandon play soccer for the freshman team at Hillsborough High, a simple pleasure I never before had time to enjoy.

October – Cooking classes and photo sessions begin. My birthday is incentive to finish things around the house. Still need painting and cosmetic things done. To the house, that is…

November – Rutgers basketball begins again and I’m headed for the RAC to cheer on my team. More photo sessions, but waiting for decent foliage. In between, I do my first freelance assignment to help a former colleague. After about 10 minutes on the job I remember why I retired, though it was fun to flex the brain again and see some favorite colleagues. And the money will come in handy.

December – Time to shop for the holidays, interrupted by a trip to North Carolina to watch Rutgers lose to Duke in the worst game I’ve ever seen. Weekend redeemed by a visit with BFF and her daughter, who lives there. Why do I feel like there is less time this year to get things done than when I worked? Maybe because Hanukah is so damn early!

Okay, you have now shared my year in review. It has been a great year for me personally. I’ve enjoyed my freedom to spend time with friends, pursue my hobbies, watch Brandon play soccer, take naps and, of course, moisturize. I find that every day is different, and I appreciate each one.

Retirement can be summed up this way: The pay stinks, but you can’t beat the hours. Everyone should be this lucky.

Best wishes for health and happiness in the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment