Saturday, June 15, 2024

June Is Busting Out All Over

Just so you know, all socks that are advertised as “no show” do, in fact show – unless you get the kind that are like the old peds and they will undoubtedly slip off your heel and bunch under your arch. I have not found a solution for this dilemma.

I love reading and writing, but I’ll skip arithmaticking unless it is absolutely necessary.

Lifechanging hack: Take the butter out of the fridge in advance to soften it. My toast holds together now!
Ever since Tina Turner strutted down the street looking like the definition of cool in her “What’s Love Got to Do With It” video, wearing that short black dress and a denim jacket, I have felt that denim is acceptable for any occasion.

Every time I buy a seedless watermelon I wonder how we will have watermelons in the future if there are no seeds.

Why do we sneeze? And why do I sneeze twice every morning? The other day I couldn’t stop myself and sneezed with a mouthful of toothpaste, spewing it all over the sink and faucet. That was a first!

I’d like to pay homage to songwriters, the people who come up with a concept, create the music and write the words that so many of us feel in our souls. Imagine creating something so meaningful to so many people. Imagine hearing your song played on the radio and everywhere and bringing such joy or understanding to people. What a feat!

We can consider popcorn as a vegetable, right? I mean, there IS corn…

I miss the Good Humor man. You could hear those bells from a block away, and you would run home to beg for a quarter to get an ice cream bar. Mr. Softee was good too, but more of the adults seemed to prefer the soft serve. All I know is that I never moved so fast as when I heard the jingle for the ice cream man.

When I was a kid, my mother would send me to the mailbox to mail something for her. I would carefully open the top of the box and put my letter into it, and then close it and open it once more to make sure it slid down into the box. Now many of the mailboxes have just a narrow slit so I can’t see into the box, so no need to double check anymore. And our town was so small that my mother didn’t bother putting the name “Somerville” on the envelope. Just marking it as “Boro” was enough. Clearly, this was before the start of zip codes!

Yesterday was Flag Day and it occurred to me that I am so old that I remember when the U.S. Flag only had 48 stars. Alaska and Hawaii didn’t become states until 1959. I was 9 years old and I truly do remember that!

The last time I bought bed pillows I thought I was so clever. I bought one for a side sleeper and one for a back sleeper since I sleep both ways. I didn’t factor in the part about the pillow tickings and pillowcases preventing me from identifying which was which (I can’t tell by feel). PS – How many people still use pillow tickings or know what pillow tickings are? 

I get most of my exercise getting out of my car, walking around it to see how badly I have parked, and then getting back into the car to repark it. 

The one thing I can count on in this world is the turkey club sandwich. Turkey, bacon, lettuce and tomato on white toast, mayo on the side. It is predictable and satisfying every time. I don’t think I have ever had a bad one.

If Jane Seymour needs anyone to model crepey arms for her Crepe Erase treatment, she should give me a call. My arms are made for this!

I called the doctor’s office, which is supposed to be open until 5, at 3 the other day and the answering service picked up. I asked if the office had closed for the day and the person said she didn’t know. Doesn’t that job require answering the phone AND having answers? Otherwise, I could do it. Then I looked up another doctor whose website said the office was open until 3:45 AM. Not an urgent care – a doctor’s office, open until 3:45 AM? Huh?

The two words you most want to see when you are ordering something online are FREE SHIPPING. 

I can tell how long it has been since I last saw my sister by counting the number of People magazines that have piled up. I subscribe, read them and then pass the issues along to her. When she is done, she shares them with the people in her office. When she retires, there will be a lot of people missing People.

When I get injections in my left eye for my wet macular degeneration, I have to get a ride because I can’t drive home with just my right eye working. Recently, my doctor told me I should look into using the Somerset County bus that drops people off for a variety of reasons. “You mean the Senior Citizens’ Bus?” I asked him with righteous indignation. I still have friends willing and able to drive me, I said, and I had not reached that level of neediness (YET). He said his father, who lives in my active adult community, had the same reaction to his suggestion. I think that next time I’ll call his parents and ask them for a ride!

There used to be an unwritten rule that my friends and I would not contact each other until at least 9 AM in case someone was sleeping. Ah, the good old days, when some of us actually slept! I generally keep my phone off all night and turn it on around 7:30. There is likely to be a pile of messages by then, some relating to sports I should be watching or movies/TV shows that are recommended. I love when my friends who know me well assume I am watching the Yankee game that they are watching or a great tennis match – because that is probably the case!  

I wanted to watch the finals of the French Open, won by young Carlos Alcaraz, but I had to leave the house, so I found the radio broadcast in the car and tried that instead. The commentators were strictly broadcasting for TV. They seldom provided either the score of the match or the name of the player who they declared had just made a great shot. I could almost identify the players by the familiar sound of their grunts, but I couldn’t tell from the commentary who hit the ball into the net. Maybe tennis is not meant for radio, but I would bet that the late, great Vin Scully could have done the broadcast superbly!

I recently went to the hospital for some minor surgery. I had to be there at the ungodly hour of 5:20 AM so I could answer the same questions over and over again. They asked me my date of birth so often that I’m pretty sure they are planning a big birthday party for me! I’ll make sure you get an invite!

Every book we consider for Book Club seems to tout itself as a “page turner.” My hairdresser and I often swap book recommendations, and the one she suggested recently she described as one that “you can’t put down.” I hope so, because the book I just finished reading I had trouble picking up because I found it so slow and dull. I could use a good “page turner.” That’s the thing about book clubs: I am definitely reading more books and finding ones I really like, but there are a few clunkers in there that I suffer through like a school assignment. I guess they can’t all be winners!

On this Father’s Day weekend, I am, of course, thinking about my father. He passed away from liver cancer in 1983, just days after his 71st birthday, and he was buried on Father’s Day. That makes Father’s Day one of the two days I hate the most each year. You guessed it – Mother’s Day is the other one. Lester Irving Gordon was a good man, full of kindness and empathy and with a good word to say about everyone. He would come home after a long day of selling shoes and smell like leather. I like to think of fun times, like when we went to Lake Hopatcong and he and his best friend grilled hotdogs for us in the pouring rain (we were in the car with friends to stay dry). But then Father’s Day comes along to remind me that he is no longer more than a sweet memory. Take a bow in Heaven, Lester Gordon. You were one of the good ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment