Sunday, January 15, 2023

Blogging into the New Year

Here we go, another year. I feel like we have wasted most of this decade on Covid cases, vaccines, masks and other precautions. Will this be the year things get back to “normal” again – whatever that is? Will I ever feel safe NOT wearing a mask?

I guess I bailed out of the NFL Wild Card playoff game between the Jacksonville Jaguars and the San Diego Chargers too early. Once Trevor Lawrence threw his third interception, I switched to a movie, thinking the Jaguars would surely lose. After the movie, I learned that they were behind by 27-0 before mounting an historic comeback to win by a field goal as the game ended. What did I miss?

If we can command the house lights to go on with Alexa or change the channels with the TV remote, or watch the front door with Ring, or get directions verbally while driving, why is it so hard to search for a program or movie on a streaming service? We are still going line-by-line on that little alphabet box on the TV screen. That technology seems unforgivably antiquated.

I didn’t bother making New Year’s Resolutions this year. I just dusted off last year’s list to start again. You know, the usual stuff – exercise more, eat less, drink more water, get more sleep, have more patience and LOSE WEIGHT. 

If Harry and Meghan want so desperately to get out of the public eye, then why is he doing TV interviews and exposing himself to questions and criticism (I know, he's got a book to sell now that the Royal Family isn't paying him since he's no longer working for the family business)? If you want to be alone, Greta Garbo, simply fade away. Oh, wait, they need to sell themselves for money since they signed some lucrative deals that presumably included juicy trashing of the Royal Family. OK, but then don’t say you want to reconcile if you are bashing your brother, your father the King, and the institution. There’s no going back. Boy, these two are either entirely self-centered or are getting some bad advice – even as the $$$ rolls in.

I didn’t realize how particular I am about things until I found myself making hospital corners on the aluminum foil covering my pan of lasagna.

It’s probably just me, but after years of making Pillsbury Crescent Rolls, I’m still startled when that tube pops open – even when I use the spoon on the seam to make it pop open.

Dear Deer Park: It would be perfectly acceptable to me if you put six fewer drops of water in your 12-ounce bottles so that I could twist open the lid without spilling the contents.

There must be a law that every town in NJ (at least in Central and North Jersey) must have a pizza place/restaurant named Angelos, Alfredo’s, Alfonso’s or Tony’s. 

The most boring job in the world must belong to the lifeguard in charge of the indoor pool in my senior community. But I’m sure that is better than not having it be a boring job, what with all of the senior citizens who take the plunge!

I treated myself to one of those folding carry-on bags. This one has wheels and a handle to help you get through the airport. In the online video ad for it, the woman packing somehow gets a month of clothes into the two main compartments. They must be clothes from a Barbie Doll’s wardrobe, because no adult woman’s clothes over size 0 could possibly fit there. It is, as advertised, light and full of pockets, and it should be a good reminder for me NOT to pack so much stuff when I travel. It will definitely fit into the overhead compartment on an airplane, especially if only the bottom half is used. Now, if I only had someplace to go!

In case you were wondering, HGTV’s “House Hunters” is currently on Season 220, which I think means it has been around since the 1800s, long before TV was invented. 

You know you’re getting old when you get a pile of Christmas cards in the mail but you open the PSE&G bill first.

You know you’re getting old (and decrepit) when you get a season’s greeting email message from the local radiology place. There were about a dozen doctors whose pictures appeared on the greeting; I have never heard of nor seen even one of them. It’s the skilled technicians who take care of me when I am there for scans and ultrasounds. I picture these docs housed somewhere in a bunker, dutifully reading all those pictures of my body parts. So why send me a card? I see the mail delivery person more often! (She did send me a card, but it was more like an expectation of a tip.)

Am I the only one who uses that Tide washing machine cleaner to degunk the machine?

You KNOW I love movies, but during the pandemic I didn’t go (and many theaters were closed anyway). Now I’m back in the theater – but only for the first show, which could be anytime in the morning after 10 AM. That’s perfect for me – hardly anyone shows up (except on half-price Tuesdays), the cost is $4, and it’s way too early to consider buying any sort of movie snacks. 

Whenever I see a recipe that calls for measuring kilograms of anything, I’m out. Who in America measures in kilograms? Is Mrs. Patmore cooking for the gang at Downton Abbey?

I really like my own meatloaf, and I can’t say that about everything I make. Whether I use ground beef or ground turkey, I throw in Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey Teriyaki sauce for a little extra flavor. Don’t ask me for the recipe. I never measure anything and may change things at any time. But, Yum!

Does anyone actually use the first piece of bread in the loaf? I figure it’s there to protect the other slices and I always skip it. I KNOW I will end up throwing out the loaf at some point, so I might as well get all of the good (protected?) slices first.

I will never understand nose rings or even studs in the nose. Or any interest in or acceptance of Borat.

There is still a Covid ban on magazines at the retina doctor’s office. When I was there last, the TV in the waiting room wasn’t working. One woman was so desperate for something to do that she hauled the recycling schedule out of her purse and sat there and read it.

Here is one phrase that I am not sure I should trust: “Thoroughly washed” when it appears on the bag of salad or veggies.

I bought something from Amazon that I didn’t need so I decided to return it. I printed out the QR code sent by Amazon and took it to my local UPS store without needing to package or label it. Shortly after I got home, Alexa notified me that my return was accepted and my refund was in process. What a great system! Can we put Amazon in charge of improving the search function on the TV? They already have Prime Video, so they ought to be able to fix it, right?

I started watching a documentary on Netflix called Xanax about the proliferation in the use of Xanax in dealing with anxiety but I had to stop because it was making me too anxious.

I spent hours one recent day updating my list of passwords and websites. No one likes doing this chore, but it feels great when it is DONE! Then I put all of the important dates – like YOUR BIRTHDAY – on my two calendars. Living the dream.

For the 72nd consecutive year I did not go to Times Square to celebrate New Year’s Eve. I cannot imagine being in that overwhelming crowd – and having no real access to a bathroom!  I had a piece of cake and a glass of milk and later turned on the TV in time to see the ball drop so I’d know when the new year began. There was no fanfare beyond some fireworks being set off somewhere in the vicinity. Happy New Year. I’m sure I’ll do the same thing again to usher in 2024.

No comments:

Post a Comment