Thursday, May 15, 2014

Nothing But Random Thoughts

May 2014

A friend of mine (no names, please) is trying to lose weight for her daughter’s upcoming wedding.  She’s not trying to lose a lot of weight, just enough so that she doesn’t have to wear those dreaded Spanx, the torture device intended to make women look slim by crushing our internal organs just to hide the old muffin top.  Is this really necessary?  As she pointed out, if she has a little extra girth around the mid-section, it’s not as if someone is going to think a woman in her 60s is pregnant.  That ship has sailed.  So is it really worth squeezing our body parts to the point where we can neither breathe nor relieve ourselves without the use of the “jaws of life?”  Who wrote that song, “I Enjoy Being a Girl” anyway?

I just saw a promo for a new TV show that debuts in the fall.  Really, what makes ABC think I'll remember it by then? I can hardly remember it now.

If I even think about getting the car washed or watering the grass, we get rain.  I should be dispatched to drought-stricken areas.

Wouldn't it be better for the staff at the eye doctor's office to take my co-pay before the doctor dilates my pupils?  I have a tough time writing out that check AFTER my appointment is done.  Usually I just do it in advance and hand it to them as I leave the office, ready to drive myself home with one hand on the wheel and one hand on the road.

What with the dwindling supply of paper bags from the supermarket (whose existence has been superseded by reusable canvas bags), what am I supposed to use to recycle my magazines and junk mail?  Now I am hoarding paper bags and may have to break into the collection of paper shopping bags if this crisis is not averted.

I have a bit of a recycling obsession, I must admit.  Not only do I faithfully put it out, but my newspapers are bundled up so neatly that my sister once said it looked like I was gift-wrapping them.  My cardboard is cut to a manageable size, as if they won’t take it otherwise.  And I carefully put out the junk mail and magazines in paper bags (as we know, worried about securing the needed supply) and out at the curb – almost invariably on an evening when it rains. 

Just so you know, the elevator won’t come any faster if you keep pressing the button.  And my browser won’t open any sooner if I press the ENTER key really hard.

I hope I live long enough to watch everything I have recorded on my two DVRs and to read all the magazines I have put aside.  At this rate, I’ll live forever.

I hope I live long enough to read all the magazines I have piled up.  Obama won the last election, right?

Do me a favor:  When you are going down the aisles in the supermarket, please keep your cart in front of you.  Don’t walk down the aisle side by side with it, or you effectively block the entire aisle.  Don’t make me get all road ragey on you with a shopping cart.

In real life, do we ever need more math knowledge than how to calculate the tip in a restaurant or the 25% off at Macy’s?  Really, when was the last time you thought about sines, co-sines, tangents or algebra?  Apologies to my math teacher friends.

When I am folding the clean sheets, I’m always amazed to I think of them in their original plastic package.  I defy anyone to refold the sheets into the size the set came in when you bought it.

I wish I had a dime for every serving of chicken I have had at special event luncheons and dinners.  But why does the chicken always look pink?  I was at a dinner recently with a lot of red light in the ballroom, and I actually took out a small flashlight to inspect the chicken before I ate it.  A few people refused to eat it at all, but, according to my flashlight, it was the lighting, not the chicken.  Still, nobody wants to eat raw chicken, right?  And then there are the vegetables.  These banquet places can take one carrot and use it for the the entire room.  Could they make them any thinner or smaller? 

I attended one of these luncheons the other day and expressed my confusion over the place setting.  I never know which water or roll is mine, it seems.  Until now.  A woman at the table gave me a great tool to help me remember which is which.  Just think BMW (like the car) -- bread-meal-water, going left to right.  Let's hope I don't get it confused with Mercedes or Ford or I'll be searching under the table for something to drink.

Helpful household hint:  Keep the tops of the margarine containers and stick them under jars of pickles in the refrigerator to collect any spills, or use them under the dish detergent if you leave it on the counter to protect from drips.  The larger ones I use as mini cutting boards when I am slicing berries.  When they get ruined, they get tossed. 

You know you are getting old when you find yourself reading the column on senior activities in the local paper and it isn't about the high school.  And worse, you start thinking, "That sounds like fun."

What is it with the clock radios in hotel rooms?  There are so many buttons and no indication of how to set the time.  You can charge your iPhone or wake up to music or a buzzer, but if you can’t set the time, all is lost.  I carry my own little travel clock and it’s a good thing since the last few hotels had radios beyond my realm of technical competence.

I think all credit card machines should be required to be identical so I’ll know how to swipe my card, where to sign, etc.  Sometimes the glare of the store lights on the screen makes the content illegible.  While we’re at it, let’s address that issue, too.

Don’t you have a bunch of old keys lying around?  Chances are you don’t know what they open but you are afraid to throw them out because you might need them.  For what, you don’t know.

In preparation for spring, I took apart my gas grill and cleaned it to within an inch of its life, scrubbing and shining it so well that I hated to use it for the first time and mess it up again.

Meanwhile, speaking of grills, why is it that men consider themselves the kings of the grill?  My brother-in-law, who can barely make toast, loves to throw burgers on the grill.  Is it that men can only cook outside the house?  I can hold my own cooking over fire AND I can make toast, too.

I’ve heard a lot of bad things about the new Windows 8 operating system, but it turns out not to be so bad after all.  On my new HP, Windows 8.1 computer, I simply hit the box called DESKTOP on the lower left and see the same desktop I am accustomed to seeing.  Now the computer is set up so that I don’t even have to hit that box.  By the way, I bought my new laptop at Staples and for $100 they transferred all of my files at the store, then the technician came to the house and installed the new printer, set up the wireless network and showed me how to stream Netflix on my TV.  I made the poor guy earn that $100, but it was a good investment.  He left me with the old hard drive (which I guess I can hit with a hammer) but even got rid of the computer tower for me.  Well worth the money.

After the horrible winter we had, where there was so much snow on the ground that I couldn’t get out for a walk, I swear I won’t complain about the summer heat.  Unless, of course, my air conditioning goes on the fritz.

If you have ever had one of those little cubes of note paper, you will know that they last forever.  I have one that promotes a website and I know I acquired it before I retired at the end of 2006.  The cube will probably outlast the website.  I’m going to leave it to someone in my will, because I have a feeling there will still be paper on it.  I often will find little notes I have written myself, frequently with phone numbers but no names associated with the numbers.  I guess I thought I’d remember whose numbers they were, but I never do!










No comments:

Post a Comment